This best-selling coffee maker will make you amazing cold brew at home — and it’s under $20

The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.

51c9YwEVsCL._SL1000_AmazonLike many people I know, I prefer iced coffee. Especially for the summer (and in my opinion even in the winter), it’s more refreshing.

But it’s not something I can confidently make at home. And because of that, I’ve settled for hot most mornings, since throwing a reusable pod into a Keurig and hitting a button is about as much time and effort as I’m willing to commit.

However, on the days when I really can’t compromise, I’m successful at saving money until I pass the Starbucks near work, and then 20 minutes and $7 later I’m walking out with an iced coffee that I feel like I could have made at home for pennies on the dollar.

Like most luxuries I know I enjoy too much to stave off, I (and likely many others) have really tried to find something that would make good cold brews at home that didn't lose flavor or require much more effort than pushing a button on the Keurig. Even if this mythical product was expensive, I would buy it as an investment to save me from the coffee shop franchises bordering my walk to work. And since the recent BBC investigation into iced drinks at franchise coffee shops, I’d been avoiding iced coffee there, anyway.

Which is what led me to find the Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker.

It’s under $20, makes four servings of coffee (1 quart), fits in most refrigerator doors, and is dishwasher safe and BPA-free.

Normally with anything that sounds that great (and after many products failing to keep their word), you’d be right to be skeptical. But this coffee maker might be most worth a try: It’s a #1 best-seller on Amazon with over 1,500 reviews and a 4.5 rating, and it gets an A on the site Fakespot, which spots which products might have fake reviews. If you want an easy way to cold brew at home, this is a pretty inexpensive and well-recommended product.

This is how it works:

  1. Add 14-16 tablespoons of your favorite medium roast, coarsely ground coffee to the infuser, and then twist into the lid.
  2. Add 32 ounces of cold, filtered water to the pitcher (about 3/4 full), then lower infuser into water.
  3. Seal lid airtight and shake well.
  4. Store in refrigerator overnight (or up to 36 hours, your choice). Occasionally, twist it open and swirl the infuser for the best result.
  5. Remove the infuser after brewing. Now you can serve it hot or cold.

61e7dVdjGcL._SL1024_Amazon

Once brewed, concentrated coffee can be kept fresh in the Cold Brew Coffee Maker for up to two weeks, thanks to that airtight, leakproof lid that locks in freshness and flavor.

Most reviewers found it exceptionally ("ridiculously easy") to use, which is perfect for an already busy life. If it was a long process, we'd likely all still buy coffee at the local store for convenience.

In terms of money, one reviewer wrote, "I purchased this to make cold brew coffee at the office. My coworkers and I were going to the local siren at least 3-4 times a week for our afternoon pick me up. It was starting to become a serious drain financially...We've seriously cut down our caffeine expenditures by 50-75%."

Another seconded this, saying "I really love this thing, I used to visit Starbucks twice a day for cold brew and now I save cash and time. It took me a few batches to figure out how to get great coffee out of this thing, but once I got it I was very impressed."

And one more for the road: "Can't tell you enough about how great this is. I am a big fan of cold brew and have always just gone to Starbucks to get my fix. Then I ran across this little coffee maker. It couldn't be simpler, you just put the coffee in the filter, let it sit in the fridge overnight, and you feel like you have the $4 cup of coffee you would buy at the store. Takeya does a good job and makes a solid product."

Overwhelmingly, reviews are enthusiastic and positive, with many calling it their favorite recent buy. It saves money, makes reliable cold brews, and is "ridiculously easy" to use, with minimal clean-up. It also doesn't hurt that it's under $20.

Grab your Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker, 1-Quart, $17.99

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.