The 8 best things I packed to save space during my 2-week backpacking trip through Europe

 The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.

FS_qoppi

Packing a suitcase is not my strong suit. If I'm being honest, I'm terrible at it.

I always have efficient, minimalist intentions when I start packing, but eventually add a bunch of things I don't need to my suitcase, like a steamer or four white T-shirts. By the time I get to the airport, my bulging bag is slapped with an overweight fee.

When I booked my two-week backpacking trip through Spain, France, Italy, and the UK, I knew I’d need to pack light. My boyfriend and I were traveling to seven cities by plane, train, and automobile, so my usual 50-pound rolling suitcase wouldn't cut it.

I was able to fit everything I needed for those two weeks into a compact, 35-liter travel backpack — and it significantly improved my time spent abroad. Not only was I able to carry my bag onto my flights, but since I never checked any luggage on this trip, I didn't have to pay a single overweight luggage fee. I was also still able to pack three pairs of shoes, all my electronics, plenty of toiletries, and several dresses, shirts, and shorts.

Call it a small miracle, but it boils down to packing the right products.

Here are the 8 things I used that helped me pack more efficiently. If you're planning a long vacation, they may help you, too. 

Download a reading app instead of packing magazines and books.

Texture

Once I get through airport security, I like to pick up a magazine for the plane. The problem is magazines are heavy, not to mention expensive. Instead, I now use an app called Texture. For as little as $9.99 per month, Texture offers unlimited access to over 200 digital magazines. It's like having the whole newsstand on your phone or tablet for a lot less.

If you'd rather spend your time in the air with a good book, the Scribd app gives you unlimited access to thousands of digital and audio books.

Texture, from $9.99 per month

Scribd, from $8.99 per month



Buy a travel adapter you can use in many different countries.

Amazon

The UK uses a different outlet than Spain, Italy, and France, so I needed a travel adapter that would work in all four counties. I packed Flight 001's 4-in-1 adapter, and it did not disappoint.

The 2.5-inch block is made up of three smaller chargers and is compatible with over 150 countries' outlets. It got the job done, plus the color-coded design made something as simple as charging your phone feel fun. You can read my full review here.

Flight 001 4-in-1 Adapter, $25



Pack a charger with multiple USB ports instead of separate chargers for all your devices.

Amazon

Instead of packing separate chargers for all my devices, I brought along a mulit-port wall charger and a couple Micro USB and lightning cables, to conserve space and make charging altogether easier and more efficient.

I use this Syncwire wall charger whenever I go on vacation. It can charge up to four devices at once, so I can spend more time exploring and less time worrying about which device I should charge first or how much battery I have left on my phone. 

Syncwire 4-Port USB Wall Charger Plug, $17.99




See the rest of the story at Business Insider

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.